Saturday, September 17, 2011

Crepe Paper Rosette Balls

At the beginning of August, my siblings and I surprised our mom with a 60th birthday party.  It was AWESOME!  We went with a black and white theme and since yellow roses are her most favorite flower we decided to use accents of yellow.  I really wanted to try my hand at making some of the rosette balls I had seen throughout Blogland and I thought making them in yellow would be perfect for the party.

I used THIS TUTORIAL from The House of Smiths although I made a few changes.  Rather than using styrofoam balls I recycled some tissue pom-poms that I had used for my sister's bridal shower I hosted last November.  They were sitting in a box all smushed and for whatever reason never made it out to the recycle bin and since we were on a pretty tight budget for the party I figured it couldn't hurt to see what I could do with them.


I started squishing and bunching them up and forming them into balls...



I just used the blue painters tape I had on hand to help keep the shape and then I cut some strips of white copy paper to put around them as well.  I have to confess, I am not really sure why I did that...maybe to help hide the purple underneath?!  Who knows what I was thinking!  LOL!


Then I just got busy cutting my strips of crepe paper, crinkling, twisting, twirling, gluing, burning my fingers, etc.  I cut the "stems" off of my mine and then starting gluing to my "ball".


I used some of  my leftover "stems" to fill in any white spots that were left in between the rosettes.  Not sure how many hours it took me to complete these or how many times I may have burned my fingers, but the the end I was really happy with  how they turned out. 


And even better was that the whole project cost me a total of $2 and that was for the crepe paper streamers.  I had to get 2 packages of them from the Dollar Store.

I love that I was able to recycle to tissue pom-poms from my sister's bridal shower and I am even more thrilled about these because I am planning a little "face lift" for these very soon for Halloween!



And this is how they looked on the dessert table for the party...


What do you think?

Can't wait to try my Halloween makeover on them...cross your fingers it turns out...and if it does I will be sure and share it here!



16 comments:

Mandy said...

These are amazing! Can't wait to see what they look like for Halloween.

Enjoyed your blog. Followed you over from Flamingo Toes.

www.projectqueen.org

Just Jaime said...

I love the roses!

Annie said...

I have so much old crepe paper - I will be making these for my daughter's birthday party! Thanks for the great idea!

Karen said...

It looks fabulous! Love the yellow balls! The black and white polka dots look great with everything too!

Ido said...

These are fantastic, you can make them in to pumpkins, thank you for the awesome tutorial!
New follower!
XXX Ido

Ido said...

For some reason my computer doesn't show your follower button, but I added your blog directly to my sidebar.
Have a fantastic day!
XXX Ido

Latharia said...

Magnificent job! Can't wait to see your makeover for Halloween!!

Doreen said...

Hi Heather
Found your very creative blog on Madigan Made. Now a new follower! Hope you can visit me at http://alteredartworks.blogspot.com

Floppin Flower said...

This is super cute!!!

Tips from the Heart said...

These are AWESOME!!! So glad you stopped by my site today! Now I've starting following your super cool site.
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Miss Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing how to make those super cute flower balls! I love the color scheme for you mom's party...very classy. I saw your post via the party at "Thrifty and Fabuless". I am following you now.

Marion said...

I like the flowers!!! I saw you on the blog Craft Link Party Polly want a crafter. I invite you to come visit and maybe join the link party - Galeria de Criações Compartilhadas – (Shared Creations Gallery), on my blog. Sunflower is the issue of the number 1 ! Hugs, Marion

Anonymous said...

These rosettes turned out great! Thanks so much for linking this up to Thrifty Thursday.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Wow, that must have taken some time but it sure was worth it. What a great look! I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Anonymous said...

These turned out fabulous!! I haven't seen these done with crepe paper before but I love how they came out. Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorials Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

How great are these?!? And I totally love your tablescape. Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays. I can't wait to see what you link up next week :)

Jessica
http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com