Thursday, October 21, 2010

I am not above bribery.

I used to think I was...but, as it turns out, I am not above bribery when it comes to parenting.  My little drama queen has been wanting to quit dance recently, specifically tap which she is trying out for the first time.  In general, she has been one to easily give up when things get too tough and most of the time these days she just looks so crabby and has a constant pout on her face because, according to her, things just are NOT turning out the way she would like in her life.  (Reminding her that she is only 9 and SURELY things are not THAT bad, doesn't help, btw)

Yesterday when I picked her up from tap I spoke with her teacher and it would seem there were 4-5 girls in the class that were pretty advanced and shouldn't have been in that class in the first place but they are now in another class more suited for their level.  So, Alyson's class is now down to 5 girls who are all beginners.  I also asked her teacher if she would show me some of the specific things they were working on in the class so that I could practice with Alyson at home -- yep, back in the day, I did some dancing myself...still have my tap shoes from when I was doing classes before Stevie was born (I may or may not be willing to share pictures at a later date.)  So, anyway, her teacher is going to write things down for me.  I figured Alyson would be happy with the change in class and with the fact that I would be spending time with her and helping her practice.

Instead of the "That is great Mom, can't wait to practice with you!" I was hoping for, her whole body just went limp and she slid down the car seat like a piece of jello.  (Isn't it amazing how their bodies can do that?!  My son was one who REALLY perfected that move!)  SO we had to have a little talk about bad attitudes, etc.  Didn't really get anywhere.

Then a few minutes later she asked if she could roller blade when we got home -- this after she had gone ON and ON about ALLLLL this homework she had (another reason to quit dance) -- and after telling her I didn't see how she could possibly have the time for roller blading with all that homework I learned just how exagerated her thinking was (not really surprised.)  Then she wanted me to actually go roller blading WITH her.  (OH CRAP!)

I have not roller bladed since before my car accident with left me with a metal plate and 5 screws in my right wrist (3 years ago)...and even before the accident I wasn't all that great at it after an unfortunate incident in the mid 90's that left me walking funny for a month.  Needless to say she was disappointed that I wasn't jumping at the idea of putting my roller blades on.  (Finally getting to the bribery part here...)  So, I told her if I put roller blades on and went around the neighborhood with her, she had to promise to change her attitude and be willing to go to dance and work at home with me and be positive about it rather than pouting and turning into a limp noodle.  She readily agreed and was all smiles.

I followed through with my part of the bargain and made sure that Alyson had plenty of instruction on how to call daddy, a neighbor and even 911 if necessary should mommy fall and break something.  I was feeling pretty good too...for awhile.  THEN it happened.

I didn't see the acorn in the road and I hit it head on which of course stopped my roller blading in it's tracks and I feel forward.  Thankfully the only thing I broke was a nail but I did manage to scrape up my knee even through my jeans and have a beautiful blue bruise to show for it this morning.  (Thank goodness for my wrist guards though -- whew!!)  My ever loving and supportive daughter took after her daddy in that brief moment when I fell and told me to "get up Mom, you're fine"  followed with a "I'll bet that hurt!" and a "good thing no one saw!"

Yep, it hurt...and I AM thankful there was no one around to see it!  LOL!

So now that I have kept up with my part of the bargain...crossing my fingers and nursing my bruised knee (and ego) that she will keep up with her part.  And for the record, I am way better at tap dancing than roller blading!

3 comments:

Lis said...

Kids! Gotta love em! LOL

Lis said...

Kids! Gotta love em! LOL

Dalovely Damanda said...

hahahahaha Ok, I am a firm believer that WHEELS DO NOT BELONG ON FEET! I do not own rollerblades and won't buy them for my kids. (I'm told I'm mean in this regards) Glad you're ok! Please tell me you took a photo of your banged up knee and will be scrapping this!!! :)