Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Playing catch up! (half way there...)

We had a pretty busy weekend and then we surprised the kids and took them to Disney yesterday (poor things thought we were taking them to the dentist before school! Steve really had Alyson going! LOL! But that will be a story for another day!) so I have not had much time to sit down and work on my Christmas Journal. Tonight though I was able to finish up through December 6th!
December 4th - Perfection

This entry was all about your perfect Christmas...the journaling reads: Every year, I imagine having that “perfect Christmas”. I think I am finally coming to the realization however, that really there is no such thing. Nothing will ever be perfect. But I do believe that there are always “moments” of perfection - even if they only last for a second or two. The more I slow down and really take the time to notice, I can see at least one every single day. And while I may not have an entirely perfect Christmas, they are always filled with moments of perfection - quite a few actually. One of my most favorite ones is that very first moment when the kids wake up and come out to see the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. Their faces are lit up with pure and absolute joy, excitement and bewilderment. It just doesn’t get any more perfect than that. (The picture is from 2003...can't believe how little they were!)

December 5th - Counting Down


There are so many different ways to countdown until Christmas Day. This year we added one to our house. Journaling reads: Stevie and Alyson really love counting down to Christmas. Each morning they eagerly open the next “door” in their chocolate advent calendar. This year I wanted to try and start a new tradition as well. I wrapped up 25 different Christmas themed books and put them in a basket. Each night one person gets to pick a book out of the basket and unwrap it, then we all sit together and read it. So far they are really excited about it and are quick to ask if it is time to read our book. I am really hoping this can become a fun, new tradition for our family.


December 6th - The Good and The Bad

I decided to take a bit of a different approach on this but I am sure Shimelle won't mind! ;) The basic prompt was a good memory vs a bad memory (or not so good). This past Saturday, the 6th, was the night of our neighborhood's first Progressive Holiday Party. We used to do these when we lived in Seatle and they became something we all looked forward to and so this year Steve and I thought it might be fun to try it here. I got a great response and the party was better than I expected! Everyone had such a good time and so it just seemed perfect to use it in my journal entry for the day. I included a pic of Steve and I as well as me and 2 of my favorite neighbors - otherwise known as "The Real Housewives of The EL!" -- the new show coming soon to Bravo! (NOT) ;)
Journaling reads: One of the things I never really looked forward to during the Christmas holidays was the fact that Steve would get to go to his company Christmas party, but I never got to go. He worked for Scudder for so long, 10 years actually, and in all that time, spouses were never invited. That was always tough for me and I am not going to lie, I was just plain jealous! Especially the years when we moved and he would fly back to Chicago to go. I wanted to be able to get dressed up and have a good time too!

When we were living in Seattle, our neighborhood starting doing Progressive Christmas Parties each year and so finally I got to get all dolled up and have a good time. It was a big deal and we all really looked forward to it. Of course once we moved back to Florida it was back to the way things were! This year though, our little neighborhood had our first Progressive Holiday party and it really turned out great! It was so much fun to get dressed up again and everyone seemed to have a good time and thanked me for putting it all together. I would definitely be up for doing it all again next year! I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a good Christmas party?!
Feels good to have those completed. Now I just have 3 more to go and I have a pretty good head start on those already. I am pretty proud of myself for keeping up this year...definitely much better than last year's journal. Hopefully I will have more to share tomorrow. (((hugs!)))

4 comments:

Latharia said...

You are recording some fabulous stories ... and your pages are just so festive & fun! Love 'em! Great job, Heather! :D

Dawn Lindstrom said...

You certainly are jingle bell rockin' these 6x12 pages. Looks absolutely fab!

Chiara said...

totally love your pages and I am going to do the 25 books next year

sharalyns said...

Ok--so would you email me and tell me how you work your progressive dinner? I want to start something like that in our neighborhood, but I need details! I love all the scrapping you are getting done. Right now, I'm just doing a bunch of albums and such for gifts. :-)