Monday, November 12, 2007

I am cast free!

My cast/splint came off for good today. I am actually feeling a bit naked without it! I have gotten pretty used to using my left hand...plus my right is pretty stiff and sore still. I think the doc was hoping I would have a bit more mobility in it than I do - guess I didn't exercise it hard enough these last few weeks :( I go to my first physical therapy appt in a week...and I must admit I am pretty scared of the pain that will be inflicted. I am going to work it as hard as I can over this next week but even attempting to write something is excrutiating right now. The doctor told me it will never be 100% and so I am worried as to exactly what it WILL be...this is my dominant hand we are talking about. Makes me SO angry at this 18 y.o. kid who caused all this. Wish I could just SCREAM at him -- not that it will make any difference but at least it might make me feel better.

My wrist looks so deformed to me now and I know that it will never look the same again...not to mention the scar I will be sporting now. I know it sounds so silly but it makes me feel so ugly right now. I should be focusing and remembering how lucky I am to still be here but instead I am worried about how it looks -- so superficial really. And I always liked my handwriting before but now it may never look as nice...stupid stuff, I know. I was rambling on about it all to Steve today and much to my surprise he was really supportive and even surprised me with a card letting me know he loves me no matter what.

I hate feeling so frustrated and angry about it all...but right now I just can't help it. It just isn't fair. :(

5 comments:

Latharia said...

It sounds like this is just so frustrating for you - I think most people would have the same reaction! I am just glad that you weren't injured more severely!

Chiara said...

Heather {{{{{HUGS}}}}. Do whatever exercises are necessary. My mom cut almost all the tendons in her dominant hand and has over 90% mobility in it now. this happened back in 1998. It is hard and there will be tears but hang in there.

I have an arm that I never did the exercises I was supposed to and only have 60% range of motion in it

crazierinreallife said...

hang in there heather

Dalovely Damanda said...

aww, Heather. I'm so glad you got it off. I know it will be a rough road for you...but you can do it. And you can scream and cry when you want. But think positive happy thoughts...and hang in there. :)

Sarah said...

HUGS! you are in my thoughts....hang in there :)