Thursday, September 27, 2007

Counting my blessings

This past Sunday I was involved in a pretty bad car accident. I was heading to Salsa class with my brother, my sister and my sister's boyfriend when this car comes barrelling around the curve, fish tails and then looses control and comes flying across the road into my lane. I just couldn't get out of the way, I had no where to go. I can still see the crash, I can hear it, I can smell it. I can still hear everyone screaming, especially my sister...and there was nothing I could do. Turns out it was an 18-year-old kid driving, obviously speeding, in a hurry to meet his friends.

Steve took me to see the cars yesterday because we had to get the tag off and double to get out what we could. I just stood there and cried. I have never been more thankful for my Toyota Sienna mini van as I was at that moment. That car saved our lives. My son always called it the magic van and it never felt more true than when I laid eyes on it yesterday. The kid's car was not too far away from mine...he had no passenger seat left basically. It is obvious he was going way too fast. If he had had a passenger in that car they would not have made it. The firefighters and paramedics kept telling us how lucky we were and yesterday I really believed them.

We all basically "walked" away...my brother, sister and her boyfriend have bumps and bruises, mostly from seat belts and airbags I think. I have a broken right wrist on top of my bumps and bruises. I went to a dr's appt yesterdat thinking I would come home with a cast...instead I have been scheduled for surgery this coming Tuesday. I am so scared. I am so mad.

Steve has really been wonderful through all this. I know it is hard trying to take care of me and the kids on top of his work. My car is totaled, and I can't drive right now anyway. I hate that I am so dependent on others right now...but at the same time I am trying to count my blessings and just be thankful I, and everyone else involved, were able to come home. i am going to have to do my best to remind myself of that a lot over the next 6-8 weeks.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Heather, I'm sorry this had to happen to you. This really, really hits home for me. I just think about the hell we went through when my husband had his accident...mostly the pain he suffered. I would never wish the pain that he had to go through on anyone, not even my worst enemy. He's still doing physical therapy, and the accident was back in May. But like you said, you're blessed, and i will definitely say a prayer for you for your surgery and physical therapy to follow. You're in my thoughts.

Dalovely Damanda said...

Heather, I am so glad you and your family are ok. This is a horrible thing to happen...but it could've been worse. I would be mad too. But it's ok to rely on others..let them take care of you so you can get better. I am definently thinking of you. I know your surgery will be fine and you'll be back to normal before you realize it. Take care. BIG HUGS!!

Birdie said...

Heather it may seem scary now but the surgery will really help with your healing process, especially later on when the old bones tend to get a little creaky. I'll continue to hold good thoughts for you and you will be back to chatting online and scrapping before you knowi t.

~Rach~ said...

Heather. I am with you in saying I am still replaying the whole thing in my head. It is going to be a long time before I put it behind me. I am very grateful that we are all okay. I am sorry about your wrist and you know I will be there if you need me. I love you!

Lisa said...

Oh I hate to hear about surgery!! I'll be praying for you though. I wish I could be there to do something!! Love you!!

Chiara said...

Oh Honey I am so sorry this happened to you. I am so relieved to hear you are okay sans the wrist. Praying for a speedy recovery for you. If you need anything call.

crazierinreallife said...

you let everyone take care of you!!! You deserve it. you are very fortunate and god was certainly looking after you